Archimandritis Dorotheos Bourazanis, 1914

Note :  Very few photographs of Father Dorotheos exist. The photographs we obtained are from historical photo archives in Price, Utah, and through the Archdiocese. We are seeking photographs for inclusion in our historical archive.  If you have a photograph of Father Dorotheos, please send the historical society an email, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Father Dorotheos spent the majority of his career in the Price, Utah area ministering to the Greek mining community who were primarily from Crete.  Father Dorotheos later traveled to the bay area at the recommendation of a good friend, Father Ioakim Malahias, the first priest of the Oakland community. He served the Holy Trinity community for only eight months before being assigned to the east coast. His life in America was filled with personal tragedies and setbacks.

Father Dorotheos was born Nov, 13, 1878, and he was from Mani.  He arrived in the United States with his mother Sophia on on Dec. 26, 1913, Documentation of his arrival at Ellis Island show that he was 30 years and that his destination was Salt Lake City, Utah.

On Dec. 1, 1914, Sophia Bourazanis was robbed and due to a head injury sustained during the robbery she passed away. She was 75 years old. A news article appeared in the Salt Lake City Republican on Dec. 3, 1914 (news article). On Dec. 8, 1914, she was interred at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Salt Lake City (see death certificate). An arrest was made on May 5, 1915.

Prior to traveling to San Francisco, Father Dorotheos served at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Portland, Oregon, and then Evangelismos Church in Pittsburgh, PA. While in Pittsburgh, he registered for the draft in World War 1 and listed his profession as pastor.

Father Dorotheos started his ministry at Holy Trinity in San Francisco November, 1919. There are several letters in our archive from members of the community expressing how much they enjoyed his sermons. They also said that he was an excellent speaker.

While in San Francisco Fr. Dorotheos had to be hospitalized for six weeks suffering from an unknown illness. Dr. Emmanuel Apostolides, a well known Greek community doctor, took care of him. There was some discussion as to whether it would be necessary to remove him from his post and hire another priest. That was never done.

During the Greek Independence Day Celebration of 1920, Father Dorotheos spoke to the Greek community. His political and religious were overwhelmingly in favor of the Greek monarchy. Alexander Pavellas, co-founder of the Prometheus Greek language newspaper and ardent Venezelos supporter, spoke in favor of a Venezelist government. Pavellas accused Father Dorotheos of inciting the crowd with anti-Venezelist propaganda.  Fr. Dorotheos in turn accused Mr. Pavellas of speaking against the lawful government of Greece. Father Dorotheos had Mr. Pavellas arrested.

Several news articles were written in the Prometheus and California Greek language newspapers covering the incident. Mr. Pavellas sued Father Dorotheos for Libel. Father Dorotheos counter-sued. As a result the Archdiocese decided to remove Fr. Dorotheos from his post and send him to a parish on the east coast. The lawsuit was later settled out of court.

Father Dorotheos later served at the St. George Greek Orthodox Church in Lynn, MA before he was sent to Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in New York City. Our records show that he spent at least eight years at Annunciation. During this time Father Dorotheos lost his home to foreclosure like so many Americans during the Great Depression. The Archdiocese helped him find a place to live. He spent the remainder of his life living in the New York area with relatives that had immigrated to New York.

Questions regarding this article? Please send the historical society an email, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Contents copyright: Jim Lucas & Greek Historical Society of the San Francisco Bay Area